Town Council Releases 2014/15 Budget
Staff presented the 2014/15 Operating and Capital Budget to Council on Tuesday, April 8th.
A copy of the budget is available here:
The budget sets forth a strategic resource allocation plan that is aligned with community goals, preferences and needs and acts as a policy document, financial plan, operations guide, and communication device for Council and residents. The following guideleines were paramount in this year's budget presentation:
• keep tax rates competitive
• mitigate negative future budget changes
• maintain existing service levels
• include a proactive infrastructure funding plan into the base budget
• include the funding for the current year capital plan and present the five year capital forecast
Overall, proposed expenditures are shown as $4,281,300 ($4,036,800 in 2013/14.) The proposed budget maintains existing service levels, funds the current year capital budget while setting up future funding for the five-year capital plan, and proposes new services or items, including:
• requests to increase grants to organizations
• increased funding for road maintenance and tree planting programs
• website inititives to improve event promotion and local services
• development inititives including Pop-Up Markets and local business advocacyÂÂÂ
As presented, the budget currently shows a deficit of $76,000 or increases of 6.2 cents on the residential and commercial tax rates; the final budget position will depend on the final deliberations of Council.
Also presented was the proposed 2014/15 Capital Budget with total expenditures of $2,287,300 ($494,500 in 2013/14); projects for the current year include:
• continuation of the Town WiFi project
• sidewalk improvements and replacements at various locations in town
• planning for future recreation infrastructure at Rainforth Park
• resurfacing the multi-use trail
• wind generation facility
• sewer treatment plant upgrades
Questions or queries regarding the budget can be submitted to the Finance Department:
Greg Towne, Director of Finance - 538-4014
You can also contact any Councillor - click here for their contact information - or come into the Town Hall at 236 Commercial Street.
Tuesday April 8, 2014 @ 6:30pm - Budget presented at Council meeting and to public. Presentation only - no deliberations.
Tuesday April 22, 2014 @ 6:30pm - Public input and budget deliberations.
Tuesday May 13, 2014 @ 6:30pm - Budget deliberations and approval - set tax rates.